Despite common misconceptions, opting for sustainable, eco-friendly fashion doesn't have to mean skimping on style; it always amazes me just how many brands and retailers (shout out to New Classics!) are out there changing the face of fashion, one socially-responsible practice and sustainable material at a time. Here's a list of six of my favourite eco-fashion brands that are doing it right... I dare you to not reach out for your credit card!
1. BASERANGE // A line of sustainable "under and easy wear," Baserange is a contemporary brand based in France and Denmark that uses organic fabrics to minimize environmental impact. Their designs are super minimal and well constructed, giving new meaning to the term 'investment pieces.'
2. REFORMATION // Feminine and on-trend, Reformation uses a mix of sustainable, eco-friendly fabrics like Tencel, Viscose and recycled materials that use less water than conventional cotton and are less polluting than oil-based fabrics to produce, as well as vintage and deadstock fabrics that would otherwise go to landfills.
3. EVERLANE // Known for their tailored, high-quality designs and transparency alike, Everlane stands out from the sustainable fashion pack because they not only offer an incredible (not to mention seriously chic) range of ethically-made pieces, but they give detailed information about the factories they work with on their website, as well as a pricing breakdown for each item listed so you know exactly how much things like materials, labour and transportation cost, as well as the retail markup. Because knowledge is power.
4. HORSES ATELIER // A chic and ultra-minimalist womanswear label, Horses Atelier works with natural fabrics sourced from family-owned mills in Italy and Japan, and all their designs are made in Toronto, Ontario... Oh Canada!
5. VEJA // Sneaker fans of the world take note — Veja uses sustainable materials in the creation of their vast footwear range, which is ethically made in Brazil. They also happen to be super on-trend and decently affordable, so it's a win-win.
6. THE STOWE // Next time you're in need of a leather bag, look no further than The Stowe; all their handbags are designed and handmade in Montreal, Canada (woot woot!) using quality leathers with a focus on craftsmanship... I already have my eye on the Eloise. xx
Image via Horses Atelier