Vest- Zara (old) | blouse- Maison Scotch | jeans- Gap | sneakers- Rag & Bone c/o Shopbop | sunnies- Celine | bag c/o Coach | necklace c/o Maria Black
One thing I've come to realize lately is that I'm so deep in my this little work bubble I've created for myself that I've lost sight of the things that make me feel truly happy and centred — getting outside more, exploring new places with my love, spending quality time with friends (that doesn't involve taking outfit photos), talking to my parents on the phone more, etc. When I try to think about the last time I felt truly happy and fulfilled as a person, I just draw a blank — a sad and humbling realization. How is it that we can get so swept up in the day-to-day that we lose sight of what's really important to us? It's scary how quickly that can happen, no matter how well-intentioned we may be. So because it's Friday and I figure what better time for a little personal R&R than the weekend, here are five ways I'm planning to recharge and refocus on the things that matter to me the most. I hope this helps some of you that might be feeling the same way.
1. GET LOST IN NATURE // One of the best ways I've found to re-centre and get an instant happiness boost is to take a long walk in nature. We're super lucky here in Edmonton to have the River Valley, which is insanely beautiful, but get out and explore whatever is available to you; a lake, a park, the ocean — whatever the case may be, try to pick a spot you've never visited before and soak it all in. Take deep breaths and think about how lucky you are to be alive and in the presence of such beauty. I know it sounds corny, but I swear it works!
2. TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU // It super easy to take people for granted, so take a moment to reevaluate your relationships this weekend and show appreciation for those that matter to you the most. Call a relative you haven't spoken to in a while, tell a friend how much you appreciate them, and most importantly, let your partner know how much you love them. Warm fuzzies all around.
3. DO SOMETHING NICE FOR A STRANGER // Kindness is contagious, so try to do something nice for someone you don't know this weekend. It can be as little as smiling at the person passing you on the street, paying someone a compliment or buying a coffee for the person behind you in line — whatever the case may be, do something kind and you'll not only feel better, but so will they. #PayItForward
4. LAUGH IT OFF // Nothing feels better than a good laugh — it can be super cathartic and help you shake off any negativity from the previous week. So watch your favourite comedy, catch a Standup show, or hang out with some of your funniest friends — laughing really is the best medicine. Now when Monday comes around, take all that good humour you nurtured and use it to help carry you through the week. Don't take anything personally, and let other people's negativity slide off your back — it's not about you anyway.
5. PRACTICE GRATITUDE // We all have so much to be grateful for, but for whatever reason, it's so much easier to focus on the bad things in our lives rather than all the good. Don't let the negatives get you down! No matter what the case, there will always be someone less fortunate than you, so try and appreciate all the lovely things in your life and just how lucky you truly are — a little perspective can go a long way toward making you feel recharged and more at peace, so take the weekend to count your blessings. I don't know about you, but I'm feeling better already! xx
Photos by Anton Atienza